Thursday, November 19, 2009

Popularity

Between the attention of Sonia and Luana, and our extremely warm welcome at Luana's school fiesta, we've been feeling very attended to and quite popular. I figured we'd have a little change of pace when we were able to get out yesterday afternoon to do some more field work, after yet another thunderstorm yesterday morning.



The field sites were pretty soggy, and the rows of trees were flooded. We splashed around as we identified plants, actually getting quite a bit of work done while adopting some new field methods, in an attempt to make up for lost time.



Lo and behold, even out here we were popular. I heard some steps coming towards us, and when I looked up this guy was right next to our exclosure fence, checking us out.



He stayed there for quite awhile, trying to figure us out. I think he was trying to get us to let him in the exclosure area, where apparently the grass is always greener. At one point he even started chomping on one of the fence posts in curiousity.


Apparently he's popular, too, because the next time I looked up, his friends had joined him. We laughed as they all lined up along the fence to watch us. They stayed there for a long time, milling around right next to the fence, checking up on what we were doing.

I love field work down here, and all the livestock and wildlife we've been able to see. I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching horses nearby, of laughing at the blank stare of a cow in the middle of the road, or giggling uncontrollably at a running nandu.

4 comments:

  1. I hope horses don't have the same interest in your site and fences that the elk do here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you like me to arrange for some people to sit outside your cubicle and watch you work when you get back up here? Something tells me it still won't feel quite like Uruguay....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, would it be possible for you to walk with your legs up high, flapping your arms a little like wings, and keeping your head perfectly still? If so, I'll take you up on your offer because I would LOVE a nandu outside my cubicle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why yes, yes it is possible. I could also install a few gates across 167 so your commute feels similar if you would like. I'm sure the other commuters won't mind.

    ReplyDelete