Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Montevideo - Day 1

Hola from Montevideo!

Yeah, and that's about all the Spanish I know, especially when put on the spot. It turns out it is much easier to understand someone a little when they are talking, but to have a conversation is a completely different thing. Luckily, people are very friendly and nice, and if you basically laugh and make it obvious that you are admitting you are a dumbass, things go rather well.

So we stayed at Punta Trouville for our first night here. It is more modest than the Sheraton I stayed at before, but still very nice and very clean. The breakfast this morning was great - varieties of bread to toast, several jams, yogurts, cereals, juices, pastries, and trays of meats and cheeses.

Punta Trouville crakced me up because of their special decorating touches. This is what greeted me on the shelf over the toilet in the bathroom:

Not everywhere you stay makes fans out of toilet paper and rolls towels nicely to display their hotel name.

The room was small and nice. I couldn't get the TV to work, and the AC was louder than anything else going on (including the street noise when I opened the sliding door to the balcony). Also, it took me about 10 minutes to realize that I had to put my key card into the "main switch" socket on the wall near the door to get any of the light switches and outlets to work.

Montevideo is a cool city, and I'm excited to have some time here at the end of the trip. We were able to explore a little, but we didn't see even a portion of the city. The weather was cool but sunny, and I bet after a month's time, they'll be in the full swing of summer and we'll be enjoying beach walks and wandering outdoors even more.
Stay tuned for details on La Corona, now known as the most awesome place EVER to stay. I can't believe how incredible it is, even after the nice things I heard about it from people at work. And we're having an Asado barbecue dinner tonight with a bunch of employees (who aren't working with us, but we'll help celebrate their budget completions all the same). Should be fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment