Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mmmm...dulces

So dessert turns out to be very important for Uruguayans. Last night at the Asado we had chocolate ice cream, neopolitan ice cream and a rolled wafer stuck in both. Then Sonia passed around 'salsas', varieties of syrup...you know, just in case your sugar intake wasn't quite high enough.

I passed even on the dulce de leche syrup, even though it's completely delicious (Mom, you'll be happy to know my first night in town I enjoyed a flan with a huge dollup of dulce de leche - it was so rich I couldn't actually finish it). It was delicious anyway.

Tonight we dined with three Australians/New Zealanders. Talk about random. They were in town on a tour of forested sites and are going to Chile next after tonight. After all day acclimating myself to hear Juliana's and Sonia's Spanish, I had to switch during dinner to hear through the thick Australian accents.

We enjoyed a dinner of chicken stew in a slightly sweet almost curry like sauce. It was served with mashed potatoes, and of course we had a salad with the meal. This one consisted of sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and sliced hearts of palm. I hadn't had this before, and it's pretty good. This was probably the best meal I've had so far, and exactly what I was hoping for down here. It was simpler than the food in restaurants and more satisfying somehow. Also, it was nice to not have beef or a change.

Tonight's dessert was mouthwatering (and I'm sure that had nothing to do with the 2 bottles of Tannat wine we opened during dinner). We had a lemon mousse type dessert, complete with lemon peel, on top of fresh strawberries. This was awesome - and so completely simple. I will totally be replicating it at home. I'm sure some of you will be getting sick of coming over to eat "all the wonderful dishes from Uruguay...". I promise I'll stop bragging soon.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll be waiting until AFTER lunch to see if you have any more blog updates from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He, he. Sorry.

    I'm still adjusting to this whole "let's eat dinner at 9 o'clock" thing. Apparently that's earlier because Sonia knows we're foreigners. For the locals, they typically eat dinner around 10 or 10:30. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete